2021 Cohort applications are due to Victory Institute by April 6, 2021.
The mission of the David Bohnett Leaders Fellowship is to develop a strong cohort of LGBTQ public officials. LGBTQ Victory Institute, in collaboration with The David Bohnett Foundation, has sent over 150 outstanding LGBTQ leaders to the Harvard Kennedy School’s Senior Executives in State and Local Government program since 2002, and connects these alumni to opportunities for further leadership development.
About the Program
Designed for all senior-level executives working with state and local governments — including government officials and elected officeholders — this intensive, three-week Executive Education program at the Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, hones skills and furthers the leadership potential of accomplished individuals from across the United States. Sessions are held in June and July.
The Bohnett Fellowship provides partial financial assistance to help strong LGBTQ officials cover the costs of attendance, programming that complements the Senior Executives program and a growing network of Bohnett Fellowship alumni.
Apply to the Bohnett Fellowship
To apply for the Bohnett Fellowship, you must apply to both the Harvard Kennedy School and the Victory Institute.
Applicants can choose between two identical sessions of the Senior Executives program: June or July. Programming for Bohnett fellows starts the day before the session begins.
Applications for 2021 are due April 6, 2021.
2021 Program Application Process
Please read about the following process for applying and plan accordingly. The 2021 program sessions* are set for:
Session I: June 7-25, 2021
Session II: July 12-30, 2021
*Session dates pending the lift of COVID-19 restrictions
- Learn about the Senior Executives in State and Local Government program through the Harvard website.
- The Bohnett Fellowship is open to people of all genders, orientations, abilities, races, and political affiliations. Read the FAQ for more information about the Bohnett Fellowship and email [email protected] with any questions.
- Find and speak to a Bohnett Fellowship alum about your interests and ask questions about the process.
- Apply to Harvard Kennedy School’s Senior Executives in State and Local Government program. In response to the “Who will be the financial sponsor of your participation?” question, type “Bohnett”. Because of the timing of our committee process, the deadline for the Victory Institute is earlier than the Harvard Kennedy School deadline.
- Apply to the Victory Institute with two letters of recommendation (one from someone who has completed the Senior Executives in State in Local Government program, preferably a Bohnett Fellow, and one from someone who knows and can speak to your leadership/participation within the LGBTQ movement), and a short paragraph (100 words or less) detailing how you have expressed your commitment to leadership within the LGBTQ community.
- You will be notified of the decision for the Fellowship in May 2021.
LGBTQ Victory Institute would like to give special thanks to our program supporters. Their philanthropy ensures that this program has the financial resources it needs to our Bohnett Fellows.