The Victory Institute’s Victory Congressional Internship is developing the next generation of out public leaders. Each summer, the Victory Congressional Internship brings twelve outstanding LGBTQ undergraduate students to Washington, DC, for an intensive leadership program, including:
- An eight week Congressional internship with a member of the LGBT Equality Caucus or an LGBTQ-friendly member of U.S. Congress to learn firsthand about the federal legislative process; and
- An educational and leadership development program to learn about careers in policy-making as well as engaging with subject-matter experts across the District of Columbia across working sectors.
In December, students will attend the Victory Institute’s annual International LGBTQ Leaders Conference for three days of training, skills building, networking and discussion alongside hundreds of openly LGBTQ leaders in government, politics, advocacy, business and community organizations.
The Victory Congressional Internship prepares young LGBTQ people to become informed decision-makers and influential leaders who can change their communities and our world.
The Summer 2020 session begins Tuesday, May 26, 2020 and concludes on Friday, July 17, 2020.
Apply to the 2020 Victory Congressional Internship
Final applications are due on March 9, 2020 by Midnight (Pacific time).
Online Application will ask for the following:
- Professional Resume (one-page)
- Unofficial Transcript
- Two Essay Responses
- Professional Headshot
- Demographic Information
Sent directly via email:
- One Letter of Recommendation
You will need to submit one letter of recommendation – either from an academic institution or from someone who can speak to your leadership skills. Please have your recommender email the letter directly to Sarah Pope, Domestic Programs Manager at [email protected] by no later than March 9, 2020.
- Housing accommodations in downtown DC,
- $1,000 stipend to cover other living expenses in DC,
- Airfare or other transportation to and from Washington, DC, at the beginning and end of the program,
- Academic credit (depending on each participant’s college or university), and
- Airfare, shared hotel and conference fees covered for the Victory Institute’s International LGBTQ Leaders Conference in December 2020.
The Victory Congressional Internship is open to undergraduate students of all genders, orientations, abilities, races, and political affiliations. Women, people of color, trans individuals, individuals with disabilities and individuals from low-income backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Must be LGBTQ+ to qualify. Note that “allies” of the LGBTQ community do not qualify.
All applicants must meet the following criteria to satisfy the Victory Institute and Congressional requirements:
- U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident or permit to work in the U.S. (Foreign students with F-1 visas are not eligible)
- 18 years of age before the day of arrival in Washington, D.C.
- Currently enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program, will have completed at least one year by the beginning of the program; program participants must have at least one full semester remaining after the program has completed (i.e., students graduating prior to or during the course of the summer program are not eligible)
- Applicants from a diverse array of disciplines are encouraged
- Active participation in public and/or community service activities
For questions regarding the Victory Congressional Internship Program, please contact Sarah Pope, Domestic Programs Manager at [email protected].
Meet the 2019 Victory Congressional Interns!
Our Victory Congressional Interns bring critical LGBTQ voices to Capitol Hill each summer. Meet the 2019 cohort of Victory Congressional Interns.
We are thankful to the following Members of Congress and Committees that hosted a Victory Congressional Intern this past year.
LGBTQ Victory Institute would like to give special thanks to our program supporters. Their philanthropy ensures that this program has the financial resources it needs to offer our Victory Congressional Internship.