Bohnett Leaders Fellowship
To develop a strong cohort of LGBT public officials, the Victory Institute, in collaboration with The David Bohnett Foundation, has sent 118 outstanding LGBT leaders to the Harvard Kennedy School’s Senior Executives in State and Local Government program since 2002, and connects these alumni to opportunities for further leadership development.
About the Program
Designed for all senior-level executives working with state and local governments — including government officials and elected officeholders — this intensive, three-week Executive Education program at the Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, hones skills and furthers the leadership potential of accomplished individuals from across the United States. Sessions are held in June and July.
The Bohnett Fellowship provides partial financial assistance to help strong LGBT officials cover the costs of attendance, programming that complements the Senior Executives program, and a growing network of Bohnett Fellowship alumni.
Apply to the Bohnett Fellowship
To apply for the Bohnett Fellowship, you must apply to both the Harvard Kennedy School and the Victory Institute.
Applicants can choose between two identical sessions of the Senior Executives program: June or July. Programming for Bohnett fellows starts the day before the session begins.
2017 Application Dates
Applications for the 2017-2018 Fellowship are due March 29, 2017 (11:59 pm Pacific Time)
2017 Program Dates
June 5, 2017 - June 23, 2017
July 10, 2017 - July 28, 2017
- Learn about the Senior Executives in State and Local Government program through the Harvard website.
- The Bohnett Fellowship is open to people of all genders, orientations, abilities, races, and political affiliations. Read the FAQ for more information about the Bohnett Fellowship and email LeadershipTeam@victoryinstitute.org with any questions.
- Find and speak to a Bohnett Fellowship alum about your interests and ask questions about the process.
- Apply to Harvard Kennedy School's Senior Executives in State and Local Government program. In response to the “Who will be the financial sponsor of your participation?” question, type "Bohnett". Because of the timing of our committee process, the deadline for the Victory Institute is earlier than the Harvard Kennedy School deadline.
- Apply to the Victory Institute with two letters of reference (one from someone who has completed the Senior Executives in State in Local Government program, preferably a Bohnett Fellow, and one from someone who knows and can speak to your leadership/participation within the LGBT movement), and a short paragraph (100 words or less) detailing how you have expressed your commitment to leadership within the LGBT community.
- You will be notified of the decision for the Fellowship in early April.
Not ready to apply?
The 2016 Bohnett Fellows
- Tamara Adrián, Alternate Deputy, National Assembly of Venezuela
- Erik Bottcher, Chief of Staff, New York City Council Member Corey Johnson
- Javier Gonzales, Mayor, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Matt McCoy, State Senator, Iowa District 21
- Alex Morse, Mayor, Holyoke, Massachusetts
- Richard Trojanski, City Council President, Maple Heights, Ohio
- Renee WIllette, Director of Strategic Initiatives, San Francisco Public Utilities Commission