To be considered for the David Bohnett Fellowship, you must apply to both the Harvard Kennedy School program via its online application and to LGBTQ Victory Institute using the form below. When applying to Harvard, applicants should list “Bohnett” as their financial sponsor. Acceptance into the HKS program does not ensure acceptance to the Bohnett Fellowship program.
The three-week Senior Executives in State and Local Government program at Harvard Kennedy School is offered twice each year – once in June and once in July. Each program is equivalent in content, but we aim to have diverse representation in each of the sessions.
In 2023, the sessions are:
- June 5 – June 23, 2023
- July 10 – July 28, 2023
You will be asked your session preference during the Victory Institute application process.
The LGBTQ Victory Institute application form (below) must be completed by March 19, 2023. The Harvard Kennedy School application deadline is April 10, 2023. You can complete the applications in either order.
The Harvard Kennedy School Program fee for 2023 is $17,400 and covers tuition, housing, curricular materials and most meals.
For accepted Bohnett Fellows, the David Bohnett Foundation and LGBTQ Victory Institute typically cover more than 50 percent of the fee, and up to the entire fee, depending on financial need. The organizations do encourage fellows to invest some level of funding toward the fee, when possible. Examples of additional potential funding include (a) budgeted professional development funds, (b) grants from nonprofit foundations in a city/state, (c) fundraising from individual donors, (d) other fellowship opportunities listed on the HKS website, and/or (e) self-funding.
Fellows are required to participate in the entire three-week session of the Senior Executives in State and Local Government program as well as any Victory Institute programming immediately before, during or immediately after the session.
Fellows are also required to attend the International LGBTQ Leaders Conference from November 30 – December 2, 2023, and to pay for their own travel, hotel and registration. Registration will be offered at a discounted rate for Bohnett Fellows.
Before starting the application process, we encourage you to gather the following information that will be required to apply:
- Current resume.
- Professional bio (no more than 200 words) and headshot.
- Letter of reference from an alumnus of the Senior Executives in State and Local Government program. A list of Bohnett Fellow alumni is available here.
- Letter of reference from an individual that can speak to your leadership and/or participation in the LGBTQ community.
- Potential or secured sources of funding, including the amount and source.
- An estimate of the level of funding needed from the David Bohnett Foundation and Victory Institute in order to attend the program.
- A link to an article, blog post or other acknowledgement on the web of your leadership as an LGBTQ executive or public official or within the LGBTQ community (if available).
You will be asked the following question during the application process (and asked for an answer of no more than 500 words):
- How have you demonstrated leadership as an openly LGBTQ executive/public official or within the LGBTQ community?
Questions about the fellowship or the application process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.