All Victory Empowerment Fellows are required to:
- Attend either the Spring 2018 or Summer 2018 Candidate & Campaign Training session
- Attend LGBTQ Leaders 2018, Victory’s International LGBTQ Leadership Conference, from December 1-3 2018 in Washington, D.C.
- Participate in all Victory Institute-sponsored activities, including program orientation, a year-long mentorship program, and program wrap-up
We seek LGBTQ leaders of color and transgender leaders who will bring diverse perspectives to the program and will benefit from the opportunity, as determined by our selection committee. Other factors include:
- Public / community service experience
- Evidence of leadership skills and interest in the political process
- Quality of application and interview performance
You can view a sample application here. You will be asked for the following information and materials:
- Contact Information and professional biography
- Demographic Information
- Statements of Interest
- How have you demonstrated leadership as an openly LGBTQ person or within the LGBTQ community? (Maximum 125 words)
- Where do you see yourself in five years and how would the Victory Empowerment Fellowship help you get there? (Maximum 500 words)
- Two letters of reference. Attach your letters to your application or ask your references to send their letters directly to [email protected]. Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format on letterhead is preferred, but not required. All letters of reference must be received by the application deadline – no exceptions.
Can high school/undergraduate/graduate students apply?
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age by the start of the fellowship. The fellowship has no education requirements.
Can people outside of the U.S. apply?
No, only people living in the United States are eligible to apply.
Do I have to be both a transgender person and a person of color to apply?
The Victory Empowerment Fellowship is for 1) transgender, non-binary, and genderqueer people, and 2) lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people of color. Fellows must identify with at least one of those categories and may identify with multiple categories.
Do I have to be in college or have graduated college to apply?
You do not need to be in college or have a college degree to apply for the fellowship.
Is there an age requirement?
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age by the start of the fellowship.
Can you send me an application form?
All applicants must apply online.
Can I send parts of the application separately?
Applications must be sent containing all required items with the possible exception of the letters of reference. The letters of reference may be submitted directly to the Victory Institute as part of the application or by email to [email protected] by the application deadline.
Do you provide funding?
All Empowerment Fellows will be provided with full registration, travel, and housing for the Candidate & Campaign Training and LGBTQ Leaders 2018. Fellows will pay for some meals during the training and the conference.
What will Victory Empowerment Fellowship programming look like?
Before and after the Candidate & Campaign Training and LGBTQ Leaders 2018, fellowship programming will include an orientation and a wrap-up session. The orientation will serve as an introduction to the program and your cohort and the wrap-up will concentrate on what can be taken away from the fellowship experience.
Throughout the year, Victory Empowerment Fellows will be connected with mentors across the country and will participate in check-ins with Victory staff. In addition to gathering at the campaign training and conference, fellows will have opportunities to engage with their cohort in facilitated groups and online meetings.