All Victory Empowerment Fellows are required to:
- Attend the Candidate & Campaign Training in Orlando, Florida from July 13-16, 2023. Orientation begins the evening of July 12th at 5 PM ET.
- Attend and fully participate in Victory Institute’s 2023 International LGBTQ Leaders Conference from November 30-December 3, 2023 in Washington, DC.
- Participate in all Victory Institute-sponsored activities, including program orientation, a year-long mentorship program, and program wrap-up
We seek LGBTQ+ leaders of color and/or trans leaders who will bring diverse perspectives to the program and will benefit from the opportunity, as determined by our selection committee. Other factors include:
- Public/community service experience
- Evidence of leadership skills and interest in the political process
- Quality of application and interview performance
You will be asked for the following information and materials:
- Professional resume (one-page in PDF format)
- Professional bio and headshot
- Two essay questions
- How have you demonstrated leadership as an openly LGBTQ person within the LGBTQ community? (Maximum 1,000 words)
- Where do you see yourself in five years and how would the Victory Empowerment Fellowship help you get there? (Maximum 1,000 words)
- One letter of recommendation. Ask your references to send their letter directly to email@example.com. PDF format on letterhead is preferred, but not required. All letters of reference must be received by the application deadline – no exceptions.
Can high school/undergraduate/graduate students apply?
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age by the start of the fellowship. The fellowship has no education requirements.
Can people outside of the U.S. apply?
No, only people living in the United States are eligible to apply.
Do I have to be both a transgender person and a person of color to apply?
The Victory Empowerment Fellowship is for folks who identify as 1) trans, nonbinary, genderqueer and/or other non-cisgender gender identities, and 2) LGBTQ+ people of color. Fellows must identify with at least one of those categories and may identify with multiple categories.
Do I have to be in college or have graduated college to apply?
You do not need to be in college or have a college degree to apply for the fellowship.
Is there an age requirement?
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age by the start of the fellowship.
Can you send me an application form?
All applicants must apply online.
Can I send parts of the application separately?
Applications must be sent containing all required items with the exception of the letter of reference. The letter of reference must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
Do you provide funding?
All Empowerment Fellows will be provided with full registration, travel, and shared lodging for the Candidate & Campaign Training and International LGBTQ Leaders Conference. Fellows will pay for some meals during the training and the conference.
What will Victory Empowerment Fellowship programming look like?
Before and after the Candidate & Campaign Training and International LGBTQ Leaders Conference, fellowship programming will include an orientation and a wrap-up session. The orientation will serve as an introduction to the program and your cohort and the wrap-up will concentrate on what can be taken away from the fellowship experience.
Throughout the year, Victory Empowerment Fellows will be connected with mentors across the country and will participate in check-ins with Victory staff. In addition to gathering at the campaign training and conference, fellows will have opportunities to engage with their cohort in facilitated groups and online meetings.