The Gay & Lesbian Victory Institute is proud to be an equal opportunity employer; women, people of color, people with disabilities, transgender people and individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Looking for an internship?
The Gay & Lesbian Victory Institute seeks interns year-round. Learn more about our internship program »
Looking to work on a campaign?
Victory's Job Bank connects committed, creative, hardworking and smart people with the campaigns of our endorsed candidates around the country. Join the job bank today »
Looking to work in government?
Victory's Presidential Appointments Project has assisted hundreds of LGBT professionals who now work in the federal government. Upload your resume today »
Posted: September 1, 2016
Reports to: Director of Domestic Programs
Location: Washington, DC
The Gay & Lesbian Victory Institute (Victory) has an immediate opening for a Domestic Programs Manager. Victory works to achieve full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people by building, supporting and advancing a diverse network of LGBT public leaders.
Through its training and professional development programs, the Victory Institute assists hundreds of individuals who go on to influential careers in politics, government, business and advocacy each year. Many of the Victory Institute’s trainees join the more than 1,000 openly LGBT elected and appointed officials now serving around the world.
The Domestic Programs Manager will help deliver top-notch training and executive development programming to openly LGBT public leaders and future leaders. Victory’s suite of programs is aimed at growing the skills and leadership capacity of participants from college-aged to mid-career public servants. The Domestic Programs Manager will support the Director of Domestic Programs in coordinating, executing and recruiting for all Victory Institute programs.
The manager will be part of a team of dedicated and committed staff who work hard at ensuring out LGBT leaders have the tools they need to succeed. Successful candidates will share our passion for that mission.
- Lead the Victory Congressional Internship and Victory Congressional Fellowship programs.
- Provide recruitment and programming support to the Victory Empowerment Fellowship and David Bohnett LGBT Leaders Fellowship.
- Provide support on site for Victory's Candidate & Campaign Trainings and the Victory Leadership Summits.
- Communicate with partners about Victory’s training and development programs.
- Create weekly, quarterly and annual reports for internal and external tracking of programs’ effectiveness.
- Generally, provide support to all of Victory’s domestic programming.
The Programs Manager should be a creative problem solver with superior research, writing, and communication skills. They should enjoy developing solutions to problems in the course of maintaining a system of gathering and organizing data. The ideal candidate should have:
- Two to three years of professional and management experience
- Strong written, verbal and communication skills
- The ability to manage and facilitate diverse groups and cohorts
- Solid organizational and administrative skills and experience multi-tasking
- Ease with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint, including demonstrated experience and comfort with templates, formatting and data visualization
- Experience working with databases and managing large data sets
- Comfort with LinkedIn and other sites to identify professionals and their skill sets
- Experience working with college-age youth
- Attention to detail and macro level reasoning skills
- Degree from an accredited four-year college or university
- Demonstrated passion for LGBT equality
Send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund and Institute is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, transgender people and individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Posted: August 30, 2016
Reports to: Vice President of Leadership Initiatives
Location: Washington, DC
The Gay & Lesbian Victory Institute (Victory), which works to achieve full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people by building, supporting, and advancing a diverse network of LGBT public leaders, has an immediate opening for a Director to lead its Presidential Appointments Program (PAP). PAP is a signature initiative of Victory, and will be a top priority for the organization as a new presidential administration takes office in the months and year to come.
This position will lead PAP, which serves as a talent bank for openly LGBT professionals seeking opportunities in the federal government. Victory began PAP in 2007, and to-date the Obama administration has appointed more than 250 LGBT people to full-time and advisory positions in the executive branch – which is more LGBT appointments than all other presidential administrations combined.
This position is responsible for managing all aspects of PAP, as noted below. The position reports to the Vice President of Leadership Initiatives but – given the importance and visibility of PAP – will work closely with the President and CEO and the entire senior leadership team.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key public leaders and relevant federal offices (e.g., the White House Presidential Personnel Officer and Office of Public Engagement; White House liaisons across federal agencies).
- Create and manage a pool of diverse job applicants through outreach to public, private, and nonprofit sectors and leaders.
- Create and maintain an organized and efficient database of job candidates and job openings.
- Manage and support a coalition of LGBT organizational partners, and coordinate closely with ally organizations.
- Identify training and networking opportunities for and needs of PAP participants.
- Coordinate PAP programming with Victory’s other public leadership development and training programs; identify areas for collaboration; and generally support Victory’s engagement with other public LGBT leaders.
- Create monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for internal and external tracking of PAP’s impact.
- Maintain relationships with PAP’s foundation supporters, and identify new sources of funding as needed.
The Director should be a politically savvy self-starter who has superior communications skills. They should have a passion for creative thinking and problem solving, enjoy building relationships with outside leaders and organizations, and value public service. The ideal candidate will also have:
- At least five years of professional experience, including demonstrated skill managing a project or program.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; a master’s degree is desirable.
- Familiarity with the federal appointments process is highly valued.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to manage and respond to multiple priorities and stakeholders in a fast-changing environment.
- Experience working with databases and organizing information.
- Familiarity with LinkedIn and other tools to identify professionals and their skill sets.
- Attention to detail while tracking progress of overall program goals.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and work with discretion, as needed.
- Passion for LGBT equality, and/or politics and public service generally.
Victory is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, transgender people and individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume email@example.com. No phone calls or walk-ins please.