Reports to: Vice President, Victory Institute
For almost 30 years, Victory Institute has helped to train, place and elect thousands of openly LGBTQ public officials at every level of government. Our leaders have been catalysts for expanding legal rights for LGBTQ people across the country, and they have transformed our nation’s policies and shifted our political landscape towards equality, one election at a time. Today, over 850 LGBTQ Americans are serving in elected office due to the work of Victory, including seven Members of Congress, and the nation’s first two U.S. Senators. Victory’s work continues as LGBTQ people are severely underrepresented in all levels of government – serving in only 0.16% of all elected offices in the United States.
The Director of Domestic Programs is an integral part of LGBTQ Victory Institute and will work directly with the Vice President of the Victory Institute and senior leadership across the organization to build domestic programs that will support a pipeline of diverse LGBTQ leaders through recruitment, identification, development, training, and support.
Victory Institute is seeking a Director of Domestic Programs. Reporting to the Vice President of the Victory Institute, the person in this position will direct domestic programming — including the Victory Congressional Internship, Victory Congressional Fellowship, Victory Empowerment Fellowship, Leadership Summits and Candidate and Campaign Trainings. Additionally, the Director will support the Director of Constituent Engagement on planning and executing the annual International LGBTQ Leaders Conference.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and meet organizational goals for domestic programs, including but not limited to recruitment, diversity, numbers of trainees and program participants, expenses and revenue.
- Lead all aspects of programming to ensure organizational outcomes are met, including long-term strategy goals, thorough program planning, and seamlessly coordinated participant placement, housing and travel arrangements.
- Manage training consultants to produce high quality, regularly scheduled Candidate and Campaign Trainings both virtually and in-person.
- Supervise the Domestic Programs Manager’s work, including all activity related to the Victory Congressional Internship and Fellowship programs.
- Identify host cities and develop local partnerships to train aspiring public leaders through Leadership Summits in low-equality states.
- Facilitate and present Victory Institute programming at Victory events, meetings, conferences, summits, etc. as well as non-Victory partner events.
- Assist the Vice President and the Development Team in fundraising for all domestic programs, including contributing to grant proposals and reports, and presenting in front of prospective and current donors.
- Manage high-level volunteer selection committees and ensure they have a rewarding experience.
- Work closely with the Communications Team on marketing and announcements, such as generating memos and other materials to announce selected program participants.
- Work with the Director of Constituent Engagement to support program development for the annual International LGBTQ Leaders Conference.
- Identify and develop opportunities for Victory to expand engagement with young, emerging and diverse LGBTQ leaders.
- Participate in weekly team meetings and prepare to report on the status, needs and accomplishments of assigned domestic leadership programs and trainings.
- Assist other teams as required, including providing support during fundraising events.
- Other organization-wide responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; plus at least five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience developing training and programming for diverse audiences.
- Strong written, verbal and communication skills.
- The ability to manage, facilitate and present in front of diverse groups and cohorts.
- Solid organizational skills and experience multi-tasking.
- Ease with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint, including demonstrated experience and comfort with templates, formatting and data visualization.
- Experience negotiating contracts and planning large scale events.
- Attention to detail and macro level reasoning skills.
- Passion for LGBTQ equality.
- The ability to travel for programs, events and conferences.
The salary range for this position is $65,000 – $75,000.
Victory is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to [email protected]. No phone calls or walk-ins please.