For over 25 years, the Victory Fund and Institute (Victory) have helped to train, place, and elect thousands of openly LGBTQ public officials at every level of government. Our leaders have been catalysts for expanding legal rights for LGBTQ people across the country, and they have transformed our nation’s policies and shifted our political landscape towards equality, one election at a time. Today, some 500 LGBTQ Americans are serving in elected office due to the work of Victory, including 6 Members of Congress, and the nation’s first out U.S. Senator.
Victory is seeking an accomplished Chief Operating Officer to manage the day-to-day operations of the organization, from administration (information technology, reporting, facilities) to human capital
(HR/recruiting, mentoring, career progression). The COO will partner closely with the President & CEO to chart Victory’s future growth and execute the organization’s strategic plan.
Financial Strategy, Vision and Leadership
• Advise the President & CEO and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters
• Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process
• Serve as the management liaison to the board finance and audit committee; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at select board of directors and committee meetings
• Contribute to the development of Victory’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
• Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the President & CEO informed of all critical issues
• Primary contact with independent audit firm and assures timely preparation of annual audited statements
• Represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in banking, lease, and other contractual negotiations
Human Capital Management
• Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; bridge teams and support an open-door policy among all staff
• Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development
• Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results
• Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, retirement plans, grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, purchasing, and financial compliance
• Manage and upgrade technology systems including hardware, software, and database systems
• Provide analytical support to Victory’s internal management team including development of internal data management capabilities
• Assure compliance with FEC and State Political Regulations as they relate to contributions to candidates, communications about candidates, and all other aspects of complying with federal and state laws
• Ensure timely and accurate filing of all federal and state political reporting requirements
• Sits on “top of the wall” and serves as primary contact for external IE vendors
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred or equivalent; 12 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Management experience with a nonprofit organization.
• Must be familiar with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations and be comfortable managing political compliance regulations.
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
• Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities.
• Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
• Operates with excellence in mind in all matters with the confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interfering.
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
• Passion for Victory’s mission.
Victory is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter, including salary requirements, and resume to email@example.com . No phone calls or walk-ins please.